The Emory Sanctuary Coalition was formed by students, faculty, and alumni who believe in the human right to education. Based in Atlanta, we recognize that Georgia has the most discriminatory policies toward undocumented students in the United States and actively restricts undocumented student's access to higher education in top public universities. As a leader in higher education in Georgia, Emory University has an ethical obligation to declare itself a sanctuary campus to ensure that it remains an institution where students are safe to learn and grow without fear of discrimination or persecution.
We Call on President Sterk to pledge:
1. Emory University commitment to lawful non-cooperation with federal immigration authorities. The University will not allow Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)/Customs and Border Protection (CBP)/U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on our campus unless required by judicial warrant. The University respects existing laws protecting student privacy and will not share information about any undocumented student with federal immigration authorities unless presented with valid legal process.
2. Emory University commitment to admit all academically-qualified undocumented students regardless of their social status. The University will guarantee institutional resources to ensure that undocumented and DACA students are categorized as domestic students in the admissions process and that they have equal access to need-based financial aid. The University will expand its existing financial and admissions policies regarding DACA students to also include all academically-qualified undocumented students.
3. Emory University commitment to guarantee full support for undocumented students and students from mixed-status families. The University will expand its network of permanent staff who will connect undocumented students, students from mixed status households, and Emory community members to pro-bono legal services, mental health counseling services, and the administration’s support from professionals trained to deal with undocumented students and community members. These services reflect our commitment to other members of vulnerable communities on our campus.
- Alpha Phi Alpha
- Association of Latino Professionals For America (ALPFA)
- Behind the Glass
- Black Graduate Students Association (BGSA)
- Candler Latin American Community (CLAC)
- Emory Climate Organization
- Emory First-Generation Low Income Partnership (FLIP)
- Emory Women's Rugby
- Faculty Senate of Emory College of Arts and Sciences
- Freedom at Emory
- Freedom University Georgia
- Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc.
- Latino Student Organization (LSO)
- Latino Medical Students Association (LMSA)
- Latin@ Graduate Students Association (LGSA)
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) at Emory
- Students Against Modern Day Slavery
- Students of the Centro Latino Advisory Board